v0 launch plan
- Core user journey
- "What's your favorite song? Okay, let's make a map for that" ⇒ Done in 15 min
- Get Youtube link
- Pick some backing beats
- Analyze BPM (...? or maybe auto-detect from played notes ⇒ resnap!)
- Pick some melody
- Maybe v0 is just "post on osu forums and music games reddit",
- And pitch to musically inclined friends
- Settings UI (outside of game, probably)
- Visual effects? Hit animations, hit scores?
- Song/youtube link upload
- Level editor
- ... but want to shift pitch up so overall pitch is unaffected...?
- Phaser detune doesn't work, that changes audio too
- Implemented by Soundtouch https://github.com/dumbmatter/screw/blob/master/src/vendor/soundtouch.js
Playback at different rates
- Share your plays with others
- Name the thing?
- More instruments?
- Wider range of keys?
- Fully customizable layouts?
- Mobile play
- Research-y cool tech:
- Take audio samples and build-your-own vocaloid/autotune
- Music source separation (vocal, guitar, drum etc)
- Spectator mode? Streamer mode?
- Live chat, or webrtc calling? for composing?
- Osu is fairly readable, with:
- Timing info, adjusted for different songs
- Notes are just a MS offset. Also have hitsound, etc
- osu format versioning
- storyboarding info???
- Requested by Eric
- Support other song modes
- Also — "slider" equivalent for longer notes?
- Maybe other instruments (eg drums) "repeat" instead of "hold"?
Sharps, flats on piano
Octave range — hold shift? Different row?
Other instruments: Drums, vocals, winds, strings, guitar
Hold down key to play note longer
Automatic beatmap formats:
MIDI - Notes correspond to music; wide variety of quality?
Youtube - most general/exciting, but long path + manual timing
Osu/Osumania - lots of quality timed songs. Notes don't correspond to music exactly, but maybe fun to make music anyways?