First Impressions 05/04/2021 1:53AM
- This is pretty cool stuff! "Knock Me Out" demo track — danggg that's a lot of layers!
- What's the deal with plugins?
- Plugins are just sound effects with their own specific function. Each one has its dialogue box that you can use.
- "FL Keys" plugin on the computer
- Usability bad. Basic functionality not well described -- how to copy & paste blocks, how to loop
- Playlist layout and "Channel rack" feels intuitive. Everything is 4/4, it's all laid out visually. Democratizing sheet music / music knowledge
Youtube tutorials generally are dece, but there should be better ways to drag things around
- The advanced knobs and such are terrible, though
- Plugin libraries?
- There's an onboard piano -- how do people feel about using computer keyboard on it?
- Not too great, apparently
- Improving the publish flow?
- UPDATE: Maybe not a huge deal — people don't actually publish that often
- Export is really slow. 12sec clip with 3 layers -- 10 seconds. 3min with 20 layers?
- Some samples & plugins worse for this than others. More is worse
- UPDATE 05/04/2021 — Likely because exportin wave (uncompressed) vs. mp3
- "Master" track on Soundcloud -- what's the deal with that? Also really slow.
- Significant time investments to learn
- "My X sounds too artificial", eg. https://www.reddit.com/r/FL_Studio/comments/71anxi/my_fl_keys_sounds_too_artificial/
- What do the knobs even do? No one knows, even Youtube folks
- Creating your own sounds?
- Ableton also has the ability to do that?
- The amount of time it takes to upload / master stuff on Soundcloud
- Yes, but they don't do this all the time!